Captain Levi Robinson House


Captain Levi Robinson House

Captain James Long House

Rebecca Whitmore Lurvey Carroll House

"The house adjoining [the Watson Herrick house on the High Road] was built by Capt. Levi Robinson in 1838. His wife died a few years after, leaving him with a family of young children. He sold the place to Capt. James Long whose life was spent there and in 1900 it was bought from his heirs by Mrs. Jacob W. Carroll. It remained in the Carroll family for twenty-five years and was then sold to Schuyler R. Clark whose property it is at present. The road leading past this place and known as the High Road was laid out in 1881. It was stipulated that the highway should be 'sixteen feet from any building on the road' and this determines the course of the way as the Long house was the only one on the road at that time. There was originally a barn standing to the east of the house which long since disappeared. The original layout of the High Road states that it is forty feet in width." - “Traditions and Records of Southwest Harbor and Somesville, Mount Desert Island, Maine” by Mrs. Seth S. Thornton, p. 161 – 1938

7 High Road





“Captain Levi Robinson House,” Southwest Harbor Public Library, accessed April 23, 2019, 13371