Freeman House Hotel


Freeman House Hotel

This Freeman House, which burned in February 1894, was built c1825 by John Clark, brother of Deacon H.H. Clark, as a residence. The hotel was enlarged from the house and opened during the Civil War. The building stood on the site later occupied by Dr. J.D. Phillips residence, Phillips Lane, Southwest Harbor. See also Thornton, page 152, which has an excellent photograph of The Freeman House. - MH 2005 - Traditions and Records of Southwest Harbor and Somesville, Mount Desert Island, Maine by Mrs. Seth S. Thornton - 1938.

9 Phillips Lane




“Freeman House Hotel,” Southwest Harbor Public Library, accessed July 22, 2019, 13312