Henry Edmund Day House - Day - Henry Edmund Day - (1819-1900)


Henry Edmund Day House - Day - Henry Edmund Day - (1819-1900)

Willing Cottage

"The next house on the Fernald Point Road was built by Henry Edmund Day with lumber that he picked up at sea after a shipwreck. Mr. Day owned or was part owner of a small vessel called "The Waterloo" and later of a craft known as the "Roscoe G." in which he used to go "coasting" between Maine ports and Boston. It was during one of these trips that he found the lumber, rafted it and brought it home to build his house. This was about 1852. Mr. and Mrs. Day spent their lives there and it was afterward owned by Mr. and Mrs. Frank Norris, who cared for the Days in their last years and who finally sold the place to Mr. and Mrs. Charles (Morris) Young. John Carter bought it of Mrs. Young and sold to Allston Sargent of New York who has remodelled and improved it and it is used as a summer cottage. Mr. Sargent gave it to his sister, Mrs. Ralph P. Plaisted, in 1936, and it is her summer home." - Traditions and Records of Southwest Harbor and Somesville, Mount Desert Island, Maine by Mrs. Seth S. Thornton, p. 131 - 1938.

The house was later owned known as the Willing Cottage. It was owned by Mrs. Frances Plaisted when this photograph was taken. It was later owned by Ann (Mrs. Bill) Pepper. She then married Harvey Beeler. Jack and Florence Guillan bought it from Ann Beeler.

The house has been substantially enlarged with a guest cottage and connecting breezeway.

22 Fernald Point Road





“Henry Edmund Day House - Day - Henry Edmund Day - (1819-1900),” Southwest Harbor Public Library, accessed June 26, 2019, https://swhplibrary.net/digitalarchive/items/show/10496.Item 14451