1 - 25 of 187 results
You searched for: Tags: zoomable
Item Title Type Subject Creator Publisher Date Place Address Description
6045Alvah D. Rich, Blacksmith Shop
  • Image, Photograph
  • Businesses, Blacksmith Business
  • Neal - George Arthur Neal (1872-1939)
  • 1905 c.
  • Tremont
The signage in this photograph advertises bicycle repairing, bicycle sundries, galvanizing, horse shoeing, carriage work. wood or iron, brazing, tinkering, ship yacht and fancy iron work, and saws filed. Archivists surmise that one of the men in the photo must be Alvah, but this has not been confirmed.
Description:
The signage in this photograph advertises bicycle repairing, bicycle sundries, galvanizing, horse shoeing, carriage work. wood or iron, brazing, tinkering, ship yacht and fancy iron work, and saws filed. Archivists surmise that one of the men in the photo must be Alvah, but this has not been confirmed.
12513The Henry R. Hinckley Company - Manset - Six Boats Under Construction at the Main Shop
  • Image, Photograph
  • Businesses, Boatbuilding Business
  • Ballard - Willis Humphreys Ballard (1906-1980)
  • 1945-11-25
  • Southwest Harbor, Manset
According to Nick Voulgaris, author of "Hinckley Yachts: An American Icon" published by Rizzoli in 2014, page 32, "this is one of the earliest photographs of a Hinckley using the now iconic Talaria logo on its hulls (seen on the boat to the far right)." The boat is shown with its number, I-K-277. Talaria Noun: (In Roman mythology) winged sandals as worn by certain gods and goddesses, especially Mercury. Origin: Latin, neuter plural of talaris, from talus "ankle" - “talaria,” Oxford Dictionaries, 2014, Accessed online 09/06/2014; http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/talaria The best known image of Mercury wearing talaria is Winged Mercury, one of four sculptures done by Gian Bologna, born as Jean Boulogne (1529-1608), the most famous of which is in the Bargello National Museum in Florence, Italy.
Description:
According to Nick Voulgaris, author of "Hinckley Yachts: An American Icon" published by Rizzoli in 2014, page 32, "this is one of the earliest photographs of a Hinckley using the now iconic Talaria logo on its hulls (seen on the boat to the far right)." The boat is shown with its number, I-K-277. Talaria Noun: (In Roman mythology) winged sandals as worn by certain gods and goddesses, especially Mercury. Origin: Latin, neuter plural of talaris, from talus "ankle" - “talaria,” Oxford Dictionaries, 2014, Accessed online 09/06/2014; http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/talaria The best known image of Mercury wearing talaria is Winged Mercury, one of four sculptures done by Gian Bologna, born as Jean Boulogne (1529-1608), the most famous of which is in the Bargello National Museum in Florence, Italy. [show more]
10725Yawl, Venturer - Coming Out of the Shed
  • Image, Photograph
  • Businesses, Boatbuilding Business
  • Vessels, Boat, Sailboat
  • Ballard - Willis Humphreys Ballard (1906-1980)
  • 1956-05-14
  • Southwest Harbor, Manset
  • 130 Shore Road
The automobile to the right of the vessel is a circa 1948 Jeep CJ (Civilian Jeep) Note the peavey stuck into the ground (above the “O” on the “DETOUR” sign). A peavey is a logging tool with a wooden shaft and metal hook invented in 1857 by blacksmith Joseph Daniel Peavey (1799-1873) of Stillwater, Maine, as a refinement to the cant hook to manhandle logs on logging runs. The Peavey Manufacturing Co. is still located in Maine (Eddington, Maine) and manufactures several variations.
Description:
The automobile to the right of the vessel is a circa 1948 Jeep CJ (Civilian Jeep) Note the peavey stuck into the ground (above the “O” on the “DETOUR” sign). A peavey is a logging tool with a wooden shaft and metal hook invented in 1857 by blacksmith Joseph Daniel Peavey (1799-1873) of Stillwater, Maine, as a refinement to the cant hook to manhandle logs on logging runs. The Peavey Manufacturing Co. is still located in Maine (Eddington, Maine) and manufactures several variations. [show more]
15384Ralph Stanley's boat yard late 1980's
  • Image, Photograph, Photographic Print
  • Businesses, Boatbuilding Business
  • Monteleon - Ronald W. Monteleon
  • 1985 c.
  • Southwest Harbor
A contact sheet of 2 1/4 x 2 1/14 color negatives taken, developed, and printed by Ronald Monteleon
Description:
A contact sheet of 2 1/4 x 2 1/14 color negatives taken, developed, and printed by Ronald Monteleon
5809Addison Packing Company Camps at Southwest Harbor - Summer of 1923
  • Image, Photograph
  • Businesses, Cannery Business
  • Structures, Dwellings, Camp House
  • 1923 Summer
  • Southwest Harbor
  • 11 Apple Lane
15226The Underwood Canning Factory
  • Image, Photograph, Negative
  • Businesses, Cannery Business
  • Kenway - Edward Northwood Kenway (1924-2017)
  • Tremont, Bass Harbor
15361Winter View of the Underwood Factory in Bass Harbor from Bernard
  • Image, Photograph, Digital Photograph
  • Businesses, Cannery Business
  • Places, Harbor
  • Soules - George John Soules
  • 2014-02-19
  • Tremont, Bass Harbor
The cannery was housed in the brick building at left (now Hopkins Landing condominiums).
Description:
The cannery was housed in the brick building at left (now Hopkins Landing condominiums).
12143New Buildings at Jackson Memorial Laboratory
  • Image, Photograph
  • Businesses, Other Business
  • Structures, Other Structures
  • Ballard - Willis Humphreys Ballard (1906-1980)
  • 1949-02-15
  • 600 Main Street
The Kebo Valley Club Race Track is visible behind the newly constructed buildings at the Jackson Lab. Originally the site of Robin Hood Park.
Description:
The Kebo Valley Club Race Track is visible behind the newly constructed buildings at the Jackson Lab. Originally the site of Robin Hood Park.
5826McMullen Quarry on Somes Sound - I
  • Image, Photograph
  • Businesses, Quarry Operation
  • 1907 c.
  • Mount Desert, Hall Quarry
This photograph was taken during the McMullen era of the quarry. - Steven Haynes - Maine Granite Industry Historical Society - 2007 The large building on the left housed the compressor. The two story building on the right had offices on the first floor and draftsmen above. The blacksmith shop was in the center of the picture. The long structure in the background was a traveling crane to carry the stone for the cutter."- MH - Mt. Desert Islander - 2007.
Description:
This photograph was taken during the McMullen era of the quarry. - Steven Haynes - Maine Granite Industry Historical Society - 2007 The large building on the left housed the compressor. The two story building on the right had offices on the first floor and draftsmen above. The blacksmith shop was in the center of the picture. The long structure in the background was a traveling crane to carry the stone for the cutter."- MH - Mt. Desert Islander - 2007. [show more]
12613Second Masonic Hall Building and Sawyer's Specialties
  • Image, Photograph, Digital Photograph
  • Businesses, Store Business
  • Structures, Commercial, Store
  • Soules - George John Soules
  • 2015-05-30
  • Southwest Harbor
  • 353 Main Street
12139Carroll Drug Store Soda Fountain
  • Image, Photograph, Negative
  • Businesses, Store Business
  • Ballard - Willis Humphreys Ballard (1906-1980)
  • 1950-07-01
  • Southwest Harbor
  • 360 Main Street
6385Interior of T.W. Jackson & Son's Market
  • Image, Photograph
  • Businesses, Store Business
  • Ballard - Willis Humphreys Ballard (1906-1980)
  • 1939-09-24
  • Southwest Harbor
Richard Benson Jackson owned the store at the time this photograph was taken.
Description:
Richard Benson Jackson owned the store at the time this photograph was taken.
15210Interior Panorama of 1932 Criterion Theatre
  • Image, Photograph, Digital Photograph
  • Businesses, Theater Business
  • Soules - George John Soules
  • 2016-02-13
  • Bar Harbor
George Soules photographed the interior of the Criterion from the balcony with a Canon 5D Mark III DSLR and a Canon 24mm tilt/shift lens using available light, which there was little of. To the naked eye, the space does not look nearly this bright. The first image (angle view) is a four-slice panorama with a 140° field of view. It is a composite of 12 different frames. The second image (straight-on view) is a six-slice panorama with a 190° field of view. It is a composite of 18 different frames. Both images were shot at f/8, ISO 400, with three different exposures for each slice. Exposures ranged from 10 seconds for the main room to 1/25th second for the chandelier.
Description:
George Soules photographed the interior of the Criterion from the balcony with a Canon 5D Mark III DSLR and a Canon 24mm tilt/shift lens using available light, which there was little of. To the naked eye, the space does not look nearly this bright. The first image (angle view) is a four-slice panorama with a 140° field of view. It is a composite of 12 different frames. The second image (straight-on view) is a six-slice panorama with a 190° field of view. It is a composite of 18 different frames. Both images were shot at f/8, ISO 400, with three different exposures for each slice. Exposures ranged from 10 seconds for the main room to 1/25th second for the chandelier. [show more]
550420th Anniversary of the Southwest Harbor Town Band at Dr. R.J. Lemont's Drug Store
  • Image, Photograph
  • Events
  • Organizations
  • People
  • 1912
  • 14 Clark Point Road
The building was Dr. Lemont's office and store on the south side of Clark Point Road leaving Main Street. The building, then Cuz's Café, burned on January 30, 1955. It is the site of the Red Sky Restaurant in 2008. The Southwest Harbor band was formed in 1892. This 1912 photograph shows these members: Front Row - left to right: Ralph Judson Robinson (1870-1923) Everton Livingston Gott (1875-1954) - brother of Clyde Smith Gott Frank L. Gilley (1880-1920) Henry Loren Gray (1881-1947) Simeon J. Marshall (1874-1962) Earl Gott (1889-1950) Franze Earl "Wimpy" Walls (1890-1964) Edwin "Ed" George Lord (1878-1955) Note: The name of one person in the front row is missing. Archivists hope a viewer may know who it is and where he is standing. Middle - left to right: H. Chase Bickford (1887-1960) Fred A. Walls (1888-1949) James Crockett (1864-1941) Artemus Jean Haines Richardson (1893-1958) Edward Harold Bennett (1890-1965) - later a band leader, as was his son, Charlie Bennett (1922-1984) (not in photograph) Saunders Ward Newman (1852-1949) Fred Sydney Mayo (1877-1949) - behind drum Back Row - left to right: Clyde Smith Gott (1893-) - brother of Everton Livingston Gott Clifton Robie Foss (1890-1937) Raymond C. Whitmore (1889-1971) Standing on the porch - left to right: The girl to the left of Dr. Lemont, leaning on the rail, is Elsie Phillips - later Mrs. Roscoe C. Marshall (1905-1988) Dr. Robert James Lemont (1842-1926) Elizabeth Lawler (1903-1975) Bertha Robinson - later Mrs. Chester Warren Stanley (1901-1968)
Description:
The building was Dr. Lemont's office and store on the south side of Clark Point Road leaving Main Street. The building, then Cuz's Café, burned on January 30, 1955. It is the site of the Red Sky Restaurant in 2008. The Southwest Harbor band was formed in 1892. This 1912 photograph shows these members: Front Row - left to right: Ralph Judson Robinson (1870-1923) Everton Livingston Gott (1875-1954) - brother of Clyde Smith Gott Frank L. Gilley (1880-1920) Henry Loren Gray (1881-1947) Simeon J. Marshall (1874-1962) Earl Gott (1889-1950) Franze Earl "Wimpy" Walls (1890-1964) Edwin "Ed" George Lord (1878-1955) Note: The name of one person in the front row is missing. Archivists hope a viewer may know who it is and where he is standing. Middle - left to right: H. Chase Bickford (1887-1960) Fred A. Walls (1888-1949) James Crockett (1864-1941) Artemus Jean Haines Richardson (1893-1958) Edward Harold Bennett (1890-1965) - later a band leader, as was his son, Charlie Bennett (1922-1984) (not in photograph) Saunders Ward Newman (1852-1949) Fred Sydney Mayo (1877-1949) - behind drum Back Row - left to right: Clyde Smith Gott (1893-) - brother of Everton Livingston Gott Clifton Robie Foss (1890-1937) Raymond C. Whitmore (1889-1971) Standing on the porch - left to right: The girl to the left of Dr. Lemont, leaning on the rail, is Elsie Phillips - later Mrs. Roscoe C. Marshall (1905-1988) Dr. Robert James Lemont (1842-1926) Elizabeth Lawler (1903-1975) Bertha Robinson - later Mrs. Chester Warren Stanley (1901-1968) [show more]
6543Columbus Day at the Old Center Meeting House - Wednesday, October 12, 1892
  • Image, Photograph
  • Events
  • People
  • 1892-10-12
  • Tremont, Center
The 400th anniversary of Columbus' landing in America inspired the first official Columbus Day holiday in the United States. President Benjamin Harrison issued a proclamation in 1892, “recommending to the people the observance in all their localities of the 400th anniversary of the discovery of America…” and describing Columbus as “the pioneer of progress and enlightenment.” On the four hundredth anniversary teachers, preachers, poets and politicians used Columbus Day rituals to teach ideals of patriotism. These patriotic rituals were framed around themes such as support for war, citizenship boundaries, the importance of loyalty to the nation, and celebrating social progress. Columbus Day first became an official state holiday in Colorado in 1906, and became a federal holiday in 1937. Celebrants in this photograph of the 1892 anniversary are dressed in their best wool and satin. Many of the children are holding flags and several of them sport berets made of starred fabric. One young woman holds a violin. Left to Right: as originally written in Eleanor Mayo's notes. Charles "Charlie" Andrew Hodgdon (1874-1907) Arthur Heslyn Rumill (1883-1948) Herbert G. Butler (1883-1942) Serena "Rena" W. Stanley (1882-1977) - later Mrs. Clarence Hadlock Spurling Nida Seavey (1883-1947) - later Mrs. Eugene Sylvester Murphy Vilda E. Stanley (1886-) - Mrs. Arthur Stanley Rowe Phoebe Elizabeth Walls (1885-1974) - later Mrs. Chester Calvin Robbins Oscar R. Harper (1886-) William Lawton Butler (1877-1943) Deda Belle Dow (1866-1935) - Mrs. James Albert Gray Phoebe Hodgdon (1858-1930) - Mrs. Henry N. Robbins May A. Dow (1856-1905) Unknown May Butler Harper Myra J. Farrell (1884-1931) - later Mrs. George W. Butler Bertie Norwood Sophia Dow Unknown Unknown Clinton Gray (1887-1949) Mildred "Millie" G. Butler (1887-1969) - later Mrs. George Henry Freeman Neal Lester Farrell (1889-) Jane "Janie" Anne Ober (1888-1969) - later Mrs. Chester Arthur Butler Foster Farrell Susie Robinson (1883-) - later Mrs. Winfield Norwood Wesley Bassett Dow (1888-) Martha "Mattie" A. Dow (1884-) - Mrs. LaBelle Sadie F. Young (1878-1929) - later Mrs. Harlow Harper Murphy Bennett Stanley Ellen Kenny (1837-1909) - Mrs. William Ober Jr. Charles William Hodgdon (1889-) Winfield "Win" McClellan Dow (1863-1900) William Alphonso "Phon" Farrell (1855-) Olive M. Nutter (1864-) - Mrs. William Alphonso Farrell Ethel M. Reed (1883-) Delmont Harper Murphy (1883-1963) Teacher - Mrs. Rich ? Albert "Bert" Winfield Dow (1876-) Unknown Unknown Unknown Anna R. Robinson (1859-) - Mr. Harmon Ida M. Leonard (1877-) Mattie Seavey Brown Capt. Stephen Billings (1833-1909) William "Will" O. Hodgdon (1856-1922) or William A. Hodgdon (1852-) George Ripley Fuller (1857-1937) Carie B. Ober (1862-1932) - Mrs. William Frederick Stanley and Gerald Kenneth Stanley (1890-1919) Unknown Unknown Josie A. Billings (1872-1936) - Mrs. Elmer B. Stanley Will Murphy Abbie Belle Dow (1877-) Dora Farrell Harper Unknown Lucretia "Cretia" S. Bartlett (1873-1957) - Mrs. Alton Abner Pomroy Unknown Abbie T. Ober (1877-1897) "Mrs. Phippen's sister who died" Unknown Viola M. Dow (1878-) Ida S. Bartlett (1870-1946) - Mrs. Charles L. Bartlett Lydia Black Ober (1836-) Mrs. William Johnson Farrell Fannie Ellen Ober (1868-) Mrs. Loren Calvin Herrick Margaret Maker (1847-1928) - Mrs. Richard E. Seavey Mr. Warman - Minister Fannie Ellen Ober (1868-) - "also number 30" Unknown Lurena "Nina" Hodgdon (1882-1967) - sister to Charles William Hodgdon Clara A. Robbins (1853-1930) - Mrs. Shubeal Norton Dow Martha Elva Robbins (1855-1945) - Mrs. John Leonard Stanley John Leonard Stanley (1855-1898) Mary Jane Hodgdon Hannah Stewart Dow (1836-1914) - Mrs. Stephen Billings Unknown Mame L. Galley (1869-) - Mrs. Clinton H. Gray Lennie Stanley (1890-1973) - later Mrs. Hayden and Mrs. William Andrew Clark Zulma Spurling Stanley (1833-1913) Mabelle "Belle" Iola Ober (1876-1950) - later Mrs. Charles Andrew Hodgdon Unknown Unknown William Wallace Hodgdon (1834-1904) Unknown Gilbert "Gill" Hodgdon (1845-1915) and child Fannie E. Billings (1862-1948) - Mrs. Edward C. Harper Harry Victor Seavey (1878-1956) Lena E. Schuman (1845-1933) - Mrs. Andrew J, Butler - the older woman at the far right of the photograph - at the corner of the building. Mabel Harriet Gray (1884-1939) - later Mrs. Delmont Harper Murphy - "just behind Janie"
Description:
The 400th anniversary of Columbus' landing in America inspired the first official Columbus Day holiday in the United States. President Benjamin Harrison issued a proclamation in 1892, “recommending to the people the observance in all their localities of the 400th anniversary of the discovery of America…” and describing Columbus as “the pioneer of progress and enlightenment.” On the four hundredth anniversary teachers, preachers, poets and politicians used Columbus Day rituals to teach ideals of patriotism. These patriotic rituals were framed around themes such as support for war, citizenship boundaries, the importance of loyalty to the nation, and celebrating social progress. Columbus Day first became an official state holiday in Colorado in 1906, and became a federal holiday in 1937. Celebrants in this photograph of the 1892 anniversary are dressed in their best wool and satin. Many of the children are holding flags and several of them sport berets made of starred fabric. One young woman holds a violin. Left to Right: as originally written in Eleanor Mayo's notes. Charles "Charlie" Andrew Hodgdon (1874-1907) Arthur Heslyn Rumill (1883-1948) Herbert G. Butler (1883-1942) Serena "Rena" W. Stanley (1882-1977) - later Mrs. Clarence Hadlock Spurling Nida Seavey (1883-1947) - later Mrs. Eugene Sylvester Murphy Vilda E. Stanley (1886-) - Mrs. Arthur Stanley Rowe Phoebe Elizabeth Walls (1885-1974) - later Mrs. Chester Calvin Robbins Oscar R. Harper (1886-) William Lawton Butler (1877-1943) Deda Belle Dow (1866-1935) - Mrs. James Albert Gray Phoebe Hodgdon (1858-1930) - Mrs. Henry N. Robbins May A. Dow (1856-1905) Unknown May Butler Harper Myra J. Farrell (1884-1931) - later Mrs. George W. Butler Bertie Norwood Sophia Dow Unknown Unknown Clinton Gray (1887-1949) Mildred "Millie" G. Butler (1887-1969) - later Mrs. George Henry Freeman Neal Lester Farrell (1889-) Jane "Janie" Anne Ober (1888-1969) - later Mrs. Chester Arthur Butler Foster Farrell Susie Robinson (1883-) - later Mrs. Winfield Norwood Wesley Bassett Dow (1888-) Martha "Mattie" A. Dow (1884-) - Mrs. LaBelle Sadie F. Young (1878-1929) - later Mrs. Harlow Harper Murphy Bennett Stanley Ellen Kenny (1837-1909) - Mrs. William Ober Jr. Charles William Hodgdon (1889-) Winfield "Win" McClellan Dow (1863-1900) William Alphonso "Phon" Farrell (1855-) Olive M. Nutter (1864-) - Mrs. William Alphonso Farrell Ethel M. Reed (1883-) Delmont Harper Murphy (1883-1963) Teacher - Mrs. Rich ? Albert "Bert" Winfield Dow (1876-) Unknown Unknown Unknown Anna R. Robinson (1859-) - Mr. Harmon Ida M. Leonard (1877-) Mattie Seavey Brown Capt. Stephen Billings (1833-1909) William "Will" O. Hodgdon (1856-1922) or William A. Hodgdon (1852-) George Ripley Fuller (1857-1937) Carie B. Ober (1862-1932) - Mrs. William Frederick Stanley and Gerald Kenneth Stanley (1890-1919) Unknown Unknown Josie A. Billings (1872-1936) - Mrs. Elmer B. Stanley Will Murphy Abbie Belle Dow (1877-) Dora Farrell Harper Unknown Lucretia "Cretia" S. Bartlett (1873-1957) - Mrs. Alton Abner Pomroy Unknown Abbie T. Ober (1877-1897) "Mrs. Phippen's sister who died" Unknown Viola M. Dow (1878-) Ida S. Bartlett (1870-1946) - Mrs. Charles L. Bartlett Lydia Black Ober (1836-) Mrs. William Johnson Farrell Fannie Ellen Ober (1868-) Mrs. Loren Calvin Herrick Margaret Maker (1847-1928) - Mrs. Richard E. Seavey Mr. Warman - Minister Fannie Ellen Ober (1868-) - "also number 30" Unknown Lurena "Nina" Hodgdon (1882-1967) - sister to Charles William Hodgdon Clara A. Robbins (1853-1930) - Mrs. Shubeal Norton Dow Martha Elva Robbins (1855-1945) - Mrs. John Leonard Stanley John Leonard Stanley (1855-1898) Mary Jane Hodgdon Hannah Stewart Dow (1836-1914) - Mrs. Stephen Billings Unknown Mame L. Galley (1869-) - Mrs. Clinton H. Gray Lennie Stanley (1890-1973) - later Mrs. Hayden and Mrs. William Andrew Clark Zulma Spurling Stanley (1833-1913) Mabelle "Belle" Iola Ober (1876-1950) - later Mrs. Charles Andrew Hodgdon Unknown Unknown William Wallace Hodgdon (1834-1904) Unknown Gilbert "Gill" Hodgdon (1845-1915) and child Fannie E. Billings (1862-1948) - Mrs. Edward C. Harper Harry Victor Seavey (1878-1956) Lena E. Schuman (1845-1933) - Mrs. Andrew J, Butler - the older woman at the far right of the photograph - at the corner of the building. Mabel Harriet Gray (1884-1939) - later Mrs. Delmont Harper Murphy - "just behind Janie" [show more]
6355The Bar Harbor Fire From Route 102 in Town Hill
  • Image, Photograph
  • Events, Fire
  • Ballard - Willis Humphreys Ballard (1906-1980)
  • 1947-10-23
  • Bar Harbor
The photograph was taken at about noon on October 23, 1947. W.H. Ballard was standing on Route 102 in Town Hill. Notice that the flames are taller than the trees in the foreground.
Description:
The photograph was taken at about noon on October 23, 1947. W.H. Ballard was standing on Route 102 in Town Hill. Notice that the flames are taller than the trees in the foreground.
144311967 Bar Harbor Times Newspaper, Fire of 1947 Anniversary Supplement
  • Publication, Newspaper
  • Events, Fire
  • The Bar Harbor Times
  • 1967-10-19
  • Bar Harbor
A 12 page special supplement published on the 20th anniversary of the 1947 Bar Harbor Fire.
Description:
A 12 page special supplement published on the 20th anniversary of the 1947 Bar Harbor Fire.
10571Aerial View of Great Pond CCC Camp
  • Image, Photograph
  • Organizations, Civic
  • 1937-09-05
  • Southwest Harbor
  • 67 Long Pond Road
Benjamin Conley Worcester's blueberry barren on the other side of Long Pond Road, is visible at the upper left of the photograph.
Description:
Benjamin Conley Worcester's blueberry barren on the other side of Long Pond Road, is visible at the upper left of the photograph.
10572Aerial View of Great Pond CCC Camp in Winter
  • Image, Photograph
  • Organizations, Civic
  • Southwest Harbor
  • 67 Long Pond Road
Benjamin Conley Worcester's blueberry barren on the other side of Long Pond Road, is visible at the upper left of the photograph.
Description:
Benjamin Conley Worcester's blueberry barren on the other side of Long Pond Road, is visible at the upper left of the photograph.
11933Southwest Harbor School Championship Basketball Team 1921-1922
  • Image, Photograph
  • Organizations, School Institution
  • People
  • 1921
  • Southwest Harbor
  • 329 Main Street
Back Row - Standing Left to Right: Mr. Jones Everett Wass (1881-1956) Leslie Victor Stanley (1905-1995) Harold Linwood Trundy (1905-) Francis Carroll Young (1903-1984) Mr. Faulkingham - Coach Middle Row - Sitting Left to Right: Ferdinand Moore Dolliver (1905-1984) Kenneth V. Watson (1905-1994) Charles Bradley Carroll (1902-1983) - Captain Clifford F. Robbins (1904-1978) Joseph W. Trask (1904-1988) Front Row - Sitting Left to Right: Lester Leighton Wass (1905-1987) Henry Bucknam Wass (1906-1986)
Description:
Back Row - Standing Left to Right: Mr. Jones Everett Wass (1881-1956) Leslie Victor Stanley (1905-1995) Harold Linwood Trundy (1905-) Francis Carroll Young (1903-1984) Mr. Faulkingham - Coach Middle Row - Sitting Left to Right: Ferdinand Moore Dolliver (1905-1984) Kenneth V. Watson (1905-1994) Charles Bradley Carroll (1902-1983) - Captain Clifford F. Robbins (1904-1978) Joseph W. Trask (1904-1988) Front Row - Sitting Left to Right: Lester Leighton Wass (1905-1987) Henry Bucknam Wass (1906-1986) [show more]
12400Students at the Freeman Grammar School
  • Image, Photograph
  • Organizations, School Institution
  • People
  • 1925 c.
  • Southwest Harbor
  • 329 Main Street
The teacher appears to be the same teacher as shown in SWHPL 11903 – with Freeman Grammar School 1926 students. She may have been either Feodora Woodworth or Doris Motz both of whom taught in the "common school" in 1925-1926 and 1926-1927. Doris Motz's husband, Ralph Motz, also taught at the Freeman Grammar School.
Description:
The teacher appears to be the same teacher as shown in SWHPL 11903 – with Freeman Grammar School 1926 students. She may have been either Feodora Woodworth or Doris Motz both of whom taught in the "common school" in 1925-1926 and 1926-1927. Doris Motz's husband, Ralph Motz, also taught at the Freeman Grammar School.
144321889 Bar Harbor Record Newspaper from March 14
  • Publication, Newspaper
  • Other, General
  • 1889-03-14
  • Bar Harbor
11551Southwest Harbor High School Girl's Basketball Team 1914
  • Image, Photograph
  • Organizations, School Institution
  • People
  • Bradley - Henry Lee Bradley (1875-1940)
  • 1914
  • Southwest Harbor
  • 329 Main Street
Left to Right: Lena Caroline Clark (1898-1969) - later Mrs. Thomas Leggett Eagan Helen E. Mayo (1898-1987) - later Mrs. George W. King Lena G. Norwood (1897-1992) - later Mrs. Austin Malvery Mitchell Emma Etta Holmes (1895-1988) - later Mrs. Frank William Deininger Winifred Russell Carroll (1897-1988) - later Mrs. Albanus Moulton Pottle
Description:
Left to Right: Lena Caroline Clark (1898-1969) - later Mrs. Thomas Leggett Eagan Helen E. Mayo (1898-1987) - later Mrs. George W. King Lena G. Norwood (1897-1992) - later Mrs. Austin Malvery Mitchell Emma Etta Holmes (1895-1988) - later Mrs. Frank William Deininger Winifred Russell Carroll (1897-1988) - later Mrs. Albanus Moulton Pottle
11020Ina Caroline Cad Robinson Lawler, Mrs. Allen Jacob Lawler and Students at Manset School
  • Image, Photograph, Photographic Print
  • People
  • Higgins - John Cheever Higgins (1845-1895)
  • 1898 c.
  • Southwest Harbor, Manset
  • 132 Seawall Road
11752Teachers and Students at the Hall Quarry School
  • Image, Photograph
  • Organizations, School Institution
  • People
  • Neal - George Arthur Neal (1872-1939)
  • 1906 c.
  • Mount Desert, Hall Quarry
Taken on the same day as SWHPL 6077, but with the teachers standing in different places. The identities were written on the back of SWHPL 11752, taken on the same day. The children seem to be in the same places, but the teachers are standing in different places. Researchers have identified the children, but not the order in which they appear. The children whose places are noted below may apply to one or the other of the photographs. Teachers are Luther Bridges of Blue Hill and Alice E. Mason (1879-1964). James L. Grant (1895-1981) – brother to Doris M. Grant Hall Quarry – small blonde boy, third row on right. Doris M. Grant (1899-1987) – sister to James L. Grant Hall Quarry – second row, third from left. Delma Lanpher, probably Andelman William Lanpher (1894-1969) second from left in next to last row. Others in the picture are: Stella Cookson (1892-) Martina B. Harriman (1895-1985), later Mrs. Unknown O’Brien Helen Virginia Seavey (1908-1996), later Mrs. Dyer Annie Reed Merchant Mary Richardson (1894-1946), later Mrs. Irving H. Babbbidge Clyde Linwood Ober (1896-1969) Reta Morris (1899-1966), later Mrs. Lewis Arthur Norwood Crawford S. Ober (1898-1945) Ada McCormick (1899-1966), later Mrs. Maynard Fred Jordan Louise Morris (1897-1987), later Mrs. Pearl Spencer King Addie Bernice Leslie (1898-1996), later Mrs. Guy Rupert Pontifax Stearns Miles Harriman (1892-1944) Arthur Henry Varnum (1893-1927) George E. Grindle (1899-1972) Floyd Clayton Ober (1893-1946) William “Willie” Henry Leslie (1896-1911) Nahum Varnum (1897-1906 Bob Merchant Bernard Clayton Donnell (1894-) Photographer Dr. George Neal, Southwest Harbor. Put himself through college with his photography. Made notations in his books: “Would pay if could.” “Could pay if would.” Signed, Clifton Robie Foss (1890-1937)
Description:
Taken on the same day as SWHPL 6077, but with the teachers standing in different places. The identities were written on the back of SWHPL 11752, taken on the same day. The children seem to be in the same places, but the teachers are standing in different places. Researchers have identified the children, but not the order in which they appear. The children whose places are noted below may apply to one or the other of the photographs. Teachers are Luther Bridges of Blue Hill and Alice E. Mason (1879-1964). James L. Grant (1895-1981) – brother to Doris M. Grant Hall Quarry – small blonde boy, third row on right. Doris M. Grant (1899-1987) – sister to James L. Grant Hall Quarry – second row, third from left. Delma Lanpher, probably Andelman William Lanpher (1894-1969) second from left in next to last row. Others in the picture are: Stella Cookson (1892-) Martina B. Harriman (1895-1985), later Mrs. Unknown O’Brien Helen Virginia Seavey (1908-1996), later Mrs. Dyer Annie Reed Merchant Mary Richardson (1894-1946), later Mrs. Irving H. Babbbidge Clyde Linwood Ober (1896-1969) Reta Morris (1899-1966), later Mrs. Lewis Arthur Norwood Crawford S. Ober (1898-1945) Ada McCormick (1899-1966), later Mrs. Maynard Fred Jordan Louise Morris (1897-1987), later Mrs. Pearl Spencer King Addie Bernice Leslie (1898-1996), later Mrs. Guy Rupert Pontifax Stearns Miles Harriman (1892-1944) Arthur Henry Varnum (1893-1927) George E. Grindle (1899-1972) Floyd Clayton Ober (1893-1946) William “Willie” Henry Leslie (1896-1911) Nahum Varnum (1897-1906 Bob Merchant Bernard Clayton Donnell (1894-) Photographer Dr. George Neal, Southwest Harbor. Put himself through college with his photography. Made notations in his books: “Would pay if could.” “Could pay if would.” Signed, Clifton Robie Foss (1890-1937) [show more]