26 - 50 of 167 results
You searched for: Type: is exactly 'Image, Photograph, Digital Photograph'
Item Title Type Subject Creator Publisher Date Place Address Description
8959William "Bill" J. Lawlor
  • Image, Photograph, Digital Photograph
  • People
  • 2006
9259Wings of the Morning - Friendship Sloop - Maine Sloop Boat
  • Image, Photograph, Digital Photograph
  • Vessels, Boat, Sailboat, Friendship Sloop
Ralph Stanley at helm on board: owners Rodney Flora and Jill Schoof Marion Stanley
Description:
Ralph Stanley at helm on board: owners Rodney Flora and Jill Schoof Marion Stanley
10140Model of Steamer "Tremont"
  • Image, Photograph, Digital Photograph
  • Vessels, Steamboat
  • 1989-12
The model was owned by Elwin Alexander Hodgdon (1924-2002).
Description:
The model was owned by Elwin Alexander Hodgdon (1924-2002).
11725Unnamed Lobster Boat
  • Image, Photograph, Digital Photograph
  • Vessels, Boat, Lobster Boat
Built by Ralph Stanley Inc.
Description:
Built by Ralph Stanley Inc.
12604The Cedars
  • Image, Photograph, Digital Photograph
  • Structures, Dwellings, House
  • Soules - George John Soules
  • 2015-05-28
  • Southwest Harbor
  • 7 Wesley Ave
Sylvester B. Brown House
Description:
Sylvester B. Brown House
15613Hieronymus wins 2019 Friendship sloop races
  • Image, Photograph, Digital Photograph
  • Vessels, Boat, Sailboat, Friendship Sloop
  • Soules - George John Soules
  • 2019-07-13
  • Southwest Harbor
The photo above was taken from the dock of the Claremont Hotel. Greening Island is visible in the background. Image 1, taken 40 seconds later, shows Hieronymus tacking among the other boats. Image 2, taken 35 minutes before the start of the race, shows Hieronymus sailing out of Southwest Harbor toward Greening Island with the tip of Clark Point in the foreground. Crew: Joe Neilson, Spencer Nighman, Mary Kate Murray, Mel Steinberg, and Greg & Marc Crossley (on starboard side). The description that follows is from an Ellsworth American article on July 17, 2019 by Stephen Rappaport (see link below). ### At 2 p.m., about an hour after the cruising division began its race past Sutton Island, 15 Friendship sloops lined up between Clark Point and Greening Island for a race that would carry the fleet out into Great Harbor, to Spurling Rock off the corner of Great Cranberry Island, then to Bear Island off Northeast Harbor, the can buoy at the entrance to Somes Sound and back to a finish where the race began. A light sea breeze picked up as the race progressed then died with the fleet packed together off Bear Island, race committee chairman Scott Martin said Monday morning. As the tide turned, the breeze picked up giving the fleet a good race to the finish. About two hours after the start, first across the finish line was a local boat, Albert Neilson’s Hieronymous, built by Ralph Stanley in 1962 and still homeported in Southwest Harbor. Close behind was another local boat, Alice E, believed to have been launched in 1899 and sailed daily by Downeast Friendship Sloop Charters in Southwest Harbor. The Woods Hole, Mass.-based Hegira, launched in 1980, finished third. According to Martin, who raced on his own Eden, Mount Desert Island is home to the largest fleet of Friendship sloops — about a half-dozen — anywhere. “We’re blessed,” he said Monday. Martin hopes to start a regular series of Wednesday afternoon races for Friendship sloops after the upcoming Rockland rendezvous. “It will be very informal,” he said. “No handicaps.”
Description:
The photo above was taken from the dock of the Claremont Hotel. Greening Island is visible in the background. Image 1, taken 40 seconds later, shows Hieronymus tacking among the other boats. Image 2, taken 35 minutes before the start of the race, shows Hieronymus sailing out of Southwest Harbor toward Greening Island with the tip of Clark Point in the foreground. Crew: Joe Neilson, Spencer Nighman, Mary Kate Murray, Mel Steinberg, and Greg & Marc Crossley (on starboard side). The description that follows is from an Ellsworth American article on July 17, 2019 by Stephen Rappaport (see link below). ### At 2 p.m., about an hour after the cruising division began its race past Sutton Island, 15 Friendship sloops lined up between Clark Point and Greening Island for a race that would carry the fleet out into Great Harbor, to Spurling Rock off the corner of Great Cranberry Island, then to Bear Island off Northeast Harbor, the can buoy at the entrance to Somes Sound and back to a finish where the race began. A light sea breeze picked up as the race progressed then died with the fleet packed together off Bear Island, race committee chairman Scott Martin said Monday morning. As the tide turned, the breeze picked up giving the fleet a good race to the finish. About two hours after the start, first across the finish line was a local boat, Albert Neilson’s Hieronymous, built by Ralph Stanley in 1962 and still homeported in Southwest Harbor. Close behind was another local boat, Alice E, believed to have been launched in 1899 and sailed daily by Downeast Friendship Sloop Charters in Southwest Harbor. The Woods Hole, Mass.-based Hegira, launched in 1980, finished third. According to Martin, who raced on his own Eden, Mount Desert Island is home to the largest fleet of Friendship sloops — about a half-dozen — anywhere. “We’re blessed,” he said Monday. Martin hopes to start a regular series of Wednesday afternoon races for Friendship sloops after the upcoming Rockland rendezvous. “It will be very informal,” he said. “No handicaps.” [show more]
15543The Callender House
  • Image, Photograph, Digital Photograph
  • Structures, Dwellings, House
  • Soules - George John Soules
  • 2016-03-05
The Callender House was the first summer cottage built of brick in Bar Harbor. When this photograph was taken in 2016, the Jackson Lab owned this structure which is located on the Schooner Head Road just outside of Bar Harbor. The history of Bar Harbor is the history of the rich and famous and the story of the Callendar House fits right into this history. The imposing “cottage” was built in 1901 for Mrs. John Callendar Livingston, a member of the prominent and incredibly prosperous Livingston family, by Fredrick Savage. The structure was Savage’s most formal design and also the most expensive (partly because just before it was completed in 1901, the entire building burnt leading to a near complete rebuilding). Savage, himself, was a native of Northeast Harbor and the vast majority of his work consisted of cottages and hotels, showing the rise of Bar Harbor’s place as a “summer colony”. Savage built cottages in many styles including several prominent Queen Anne and Shingle Style structures showcasing the dominant design trends of the late 19th century and early 20th century. The Callender House, however, can be seen as firmly colonial revival in design and was the first summer “cottage” built with brick. At the time of its construction it was praised by the Bar Harbor Record for both its refinement and its modernity. In 1992, the Callendar House was purchased by the Jackson Lab at a foreclosure auction. (Source: Maine Preservation).
Description:
The Callender House was the first summer cottage built of brick in Bar Harbor. When this photograph was taken in 2016, the Jackson Lab owned this structure which is located on the Schooner Head Road just outside of Bar Harbor. The history of Bar Harbor is the history of the rich and famous and the story of the Callendar House fits right into this history. The imposing “cottage” was built in 1901 for Mrs. John Callendar Livingston, a member of the prominent and incredibly prosperous Livingston family, by Fredrick Savage. The structure was Savage’s most formal design and also the most expensive (partly because just before it was completed in 1901, the entire building burnt leading to a near complete rebuilding). Savage, himself, was a native of Northeast Harbor and the vast majority of his work consisted of cottages and hotels, showing the rise of Bar Harbor’s place as a “summer colony”. Savage built cottages in many styles including several prominent Queen Anne and Shingle Style structures showcasing the dominant design trends of the late 19th century and early 20th century. The Callender House, however, can be seen as firmly colonial revival in design and was the first summer “cottage” built with brick. At the time of its construction it was praised by the Bar Harbor Record for both its refinement and its modernity. In 1992, the Callendar House was purchased by the Jackson Lab at a foreclosure auction. (Source: Maine Preservation). [show more]
6622The Carroll Paths, The Dole Trail and the Jesuit Springs
  • Image, Photograph, Digital Photograph
  • Places
  • Lenahan - Donald Patrick Lenahan
  • 2011
Map drawn by Donald P. Lenahan on an aerial photograph of the Fernald Point Road area of Southwest Harbor, Maine. Area surrounding "The Mountain House" near Route 102 leaving Southwest Harbor toward Somesville. See the Acadia National Park sign for "The Carroll Homestead." The Tax Map and Lot numbers and the MHPC number refer to "The Mountain House." The Dole trail goes from the Carroll Farm down the hill, through the Indian Brook road, across the Amstutz property - formerly site of Lawler house, torn down (53 Fernald Point Road, Map 12, Lot 101)across the Fernald Point Road to the former Dole property (later Longmaid) and ends at the Dole slip. -- Jim Colquhoun 2014
Description:
Map drawn by Donald P. Lenahan on an aerial photograph of the Fernald Point Road area of Southwest Harbor, Maine. Area surrounding "The Mountain House" near Route 102 leaving Southwest Harbor toward Somesville. See the Acadia National Park sign for "The Carroll Homestead." The Tax Map and Lot numbers and the MHPC number refer to "The Mountain House." The Dole trail goes from the Carroll Farm down the hill, through the Indian Brook road, across the Amstutz property - formerly site of Lawler house, torn down (53 Fernald Point Road, Map 12, Lot 101)across the Fernald Point Road to the former Dole property (later Longmaid) and ends at the Dole slip. -- Jim Colquhoun 2014 [show more]
14945Portrait of George Soules
  • Image, Photograph, Digital Photograph
  • People
  • Soules - George John Soules
  • 2017-06
15602Waldron Bates Memorial on Gorham Mountain
  • Image, Photograph, Digital Photograph
  • Places, Hiking Trail
  • Soules - George John Soules
  • 2019-01-02
This memorial to Waldron Bates is located on the south side of Gorham Mountain in Acadia National Park at the intersection of the Gorham Mountain Trail and the Cadillac Cliffs Path. This bronze plaque, attached to a granite wall, was designed by New York sculptor and Bar Harbor summer resident William Ordway Partridge. It was installed in September 1910 and reads: 1856-1909, WALDRON BATES IN MEMORIAM MCMX, PATHMAKER
Description:
This memorial to Waldron Bates is located on the south side of Gorham Mountain in Acadia National Park at the intersection of the Gorham Mountain Trail and the Cadillac Cliffs Path. This bronze plaque, attached to a granite wall, was designed by New York sculptor and Bar Harbor summer resident William Ordway Partridge. It was installed in September 1910 and reads: 1856-1909, WALDRON BATES IN MEMORIAM MCMX, PATHMAKER
9260Wings of the Morning - Friendship Sloop - Maine Sloop Boat
  • Image, Photograph, Digital Photograph
  • Vessels, Boat, Sailboat, Friendship Sloop
Built in Thomaston in 1967 by Roger Morse to a 1905 half-model made by Roger's grandfather Charles Morse. Ralph Stanley at helm. On board: owners Rodney Flora and Jill Schoof, Marion Stanley
Description:
Built in Thomaston in 1967 by Roger Morse to a 1905 half-model made by Roger's grandfather Charles Morse. Ralph Stanley at helm. On board: owners Rodney Flora and Jill Schoof, Marion Stanley
12435The Ralph Richardson Sawyer House
  • Image, Photograph, Digital Photograph
  • Structures, Dwellings, House
  • 2005-09-13
  • Southwest Harbor
In 2005, when the photograph was taken, the house was the home of Mildred “Betty” I. (Bartlett) Porter, Mrs. Donald Porter (1943-2007), daughter of Reginald Leroy Bartlett and Leita M. (Lopaus) Bartlett.
Description:
In 2005, when the photograph was taken, the house was the home of Mildred “Betty” I. (Bartlett) Porter, Mrs. Donald Porter (1943-2007), daughter of Reginald Leroy Bartlett and Leita M. (Lopaus) Bartlett.
12434The Ralph Richardson Sawyer House
  • Image, Photograph, Digital Photograph
  • Structures, Dwellings, House
  • 2005-09-13
  • Southwest Harbor
In 2005, when the photograph was taken, the house was the home of Mildred “Betty” I. (Bartlett) Porter, Mrs. Donald Porter (1943-2007), daughter of Reginald Leroy Bartlett and Leita M. (Lopaus) Bartlett.
Description:
In 2005, when the photograph was taken, the house was the home of Mildred “Betty” I. (Bartlett) Porter, Mrs. Donald Porter (1943-2007), daughter of Reginald Leroy Bartlett and Leita M. (Lopaus) Bartlett.
12234The Henry Loren Gray House
  • Image, Photograph, Digital Photograph
  • Structures, Dwellings, House
  • 2012
  • Southwest Harbor
The Henry L. Gray house was begun by Henry Tracy as a residence for Mr. and Mrs. Harvey Hodgkins, who had purchased the land from J. A. Freeman. The cellar was just completed and some of the lumber on the spot when Mr. Hodgkins died. Later, the property was purchased by Mr. Gray and the house built as his home. Work begun on it November 27, 1907, and the Grays moved in on February 10, 1908. Mr. Gray built the store to the south of his house in 1931.
Description:
The Henry L. Gray house was begun by Henry Tracy as a residence for Mr. and Mrs. Harvey Hodgkins, who had purchased the land from J. A. Freeman. The cellar was just completed and some of the lumber on the spot when Mr. Hodgkins died. Later, the property was purchased by Mr. Gray and the house built as his home. Work begun on it November 27, 1907, and the Grays moved in on February 10, 1908. Mr. Gray built the store to the south of his house in 1931. [show more]
11698The Benjamin B. Reed House, West Tremont, Maine
  • Image, Photograph, Digital Photograph
  • Structures, Dwellings, House
  • 1995-05
  • Tremont, West Tremont
The house was built by Benjamin B. Reed (1832-1893).
Description:
The house was built by Benjamin B. Reed (1832-1893).
12016Schooner Victory Chimes ex Edwin and Maud
  • Image, Photograph, Digital Photograph
  • Vessels, Ship, Sailing Ship, Schooner
  • D'Entremont - Jeremy D'Entremont
Vessel Name – "Victory Chimes" - Built as "Edna and Maud "Class – Ram Schooner Masts - 3 Rig – gaff rigged Designed by – J.M.C. Moore Built by – D.E. Phillips & Co. Build date - 1900 Gross tons - 208 LOA – 140’ Length to bowsprit – 132’ Sparred length – 170’ Beam – 25’ Draught – 7’6” – 18’ centerboard down Sail area – 7,100 sq. feet Chesapeake Ram Schooner “Victory Chimes” was built as the “Edwin and Maud” designed by J.M.C. Moore (John Middleton Clayton Moore) in 1900 and built at the Bethel Marine Railway, formerly known as the Lewisville Marine Railway, the Delaware yard of the George K. Phillips Company.
Description:
Vessel Name – "Victory Chimes" - Built as "Edna and Maud "Class – Ram Schooner Masts - 3 Rig – gaff rigged Designed by – J.M.C. Moore Built by – D.E. Phillips & Co. Build date - 1900 Gross tons - 208 LOA – 140’ Length to bowsprit – 132’ Sparred length – 170’ Beam – 25’ Draught – 7’6” – 18’ centerboard down Sail area – 7,100 sq. feet Chesapeake Ram Schooner “Victory Chimes” was built as the “Edwin and Maud” designed by J.M.C. Moore (John Middleton Clayton Moore) in 1900 and built at the Bethel Marine Railway, formerly known as the Lewisville Marine Railway, the Delaware yard of the George K. Phillips Company. [show more]
11493Otmar Franz Karban and Kerstin Stracke-Weiss
  • Image, Photograph, Digital Photograph
  • People
  • 1991
12436Mildred Betty I. (Bartlett) Porter, Mrs. Donald Porter
  • Image, Photograph, Digital Photograph
  • People
  • 2005-09-13
6835Marycarol Lenahan, Mrs. Donald P. Lenahan at Jesuit Spring - West on Fernald Point, Southwest Harbor
  • Image, Photograph, Digital Photograph
  • People
  • Lenahan - Donald Patrick Lenahan
  • 2010
  • Southwest Harbor
9620MacDuffie Trail Sign in Acadia National Park - John MacDuffie III
  • Image, Photograph, Digital Photograph
  • Places, Hiking Trail
  • Lenahan - Donald Patrick Lenahan
  • Acadia National Park
11814Dory BLB - Built for Arthur and Nan Kellam
  • Image, Photograph, Digital Photograph
  • Vessels, Boat
  • Riebel - Charlotte Helen (Riebel) Morrill
  • 2012-08-26
  • 4 Granville Road
Built by C.M. Rich in 1949. Now on display at the Country Store Museum in Bass Harbor.
Description:
Built by C.M. Rich in 1949. Now on display at the Country Store Museum in Bass Harbor.
12614Clark Point Road - View West to Main Street
  • Image, Photograph, Digital Photograph
  • Places, Town
  • Soules - George John Soules
  • 2015-05-23
As of 2019, the Tom Cat market no longer occupies the second building on the left. The fourth building from the left in 2019 is Fred's Place, which was once the Jackson Market.
Description:
As of 2019, the Tom Cat market no longer occupies the second building on the left. The fourth building from the left in 2019 is Fred's Place, which was once the Jackson Market.
9257Edward Lothrop Rand Memorial
  • Image, Photograph, Digital Photograph
  • Places, Cemetery
  • Lenahan - Donald Patrick Lenahan
  • 2008
Edward Lothrop Rand, the brother of photographer, Henry L. Rand, was born to Edward Sprague (II) and Jane Augusta “Jennie” Lathrop Rand on August 22, 1859 in Dedham, Massachusetts. Edward attended the private school of J.P. Hopkinson in Boston and graduated from Harvard in the class of 1881 (Phi Beta Kappa, cum laude) and Harvard Law School in 1884. He married Annie Matilda Crozier, a school teacher, on June 29, 1893 in Boston, Massachusetts. Edward and Annie lived in Cambridge, Massachusetts. His law office was at 53 State Street, Room 740 in Boston. Edward and Annie Rand lived on the Henry Clay and Henry Seaton Rand estate in the house at 120 Elm Street next door to the main house. He was a member of the Champlain Society. Edward Lothrop Rand died on October 9, 1924.
Description:
Edward Lothrop Rand, the brother of photographer, Henry L. Rand, was born to Edward Sprague (II) and Jane Augusta “Jennie” Lathrop Rand on August 22, 1859 in Dedham, Massachusetts. Edward attended the private school of J.P. Hopkinson in Boston and graduated from Harvard in the class of 1881 (Phi Beta Kappa, cum laude) and Harvard Law School in 1884. He married Annie Matilda Crozier, a school teacher, on June 29, 1893 in Boston, Massachusetts. Edward and Annie lived in Cambridge, Massachusetts. His law office was at 53 State Street, Room 740 in Boston. Edward and Annie Rand lived on the Henry Clay and Henry Seaton Rand estate in the house at 120 Elm Street next door to the main house. He was a member of the Champlain Society. Edward Lothrop Rand died on October 9, 1924. [show more]
15520Digital Archive Debut
  • Image, Photograph, Digital Photograph
  • Events
  • People
  • Milner - Craig Milner
  • 2017-07-09
  • Southwest Harbor
From left to right, George Soules, Ralph Stanley, and Charlotte Morrill pose for this photo following George and Charlotte's presentation of the debut of the Digital Archive in the Holmes Room at the Southwest Harbor Public Library. The second photo is of George during his presentation.
Description:
From left to right, George Soules, Ralph Stanley, and Charlotte Morrill pose for this photo following George and Charlotte's presentation of the debut of the Digital Archive in the Holmes Room at the Southwest Harbor Public Library. The second photo is of George during his presentation.
15385The Carroll Sargent Tyson Jr. Cottage
  • Image, Photograph, Digital Photograph
  • Structures, Dwellings, House, Cottage
  • Soules - George John Soules
  • 2018-11-24
  • Southwest Harbor, Manset
  • 37 Shore Road