1 - 25 of 119 results
You searched for: Subject: is exactly 'Structures, Other Structures'
Refine Your Search
Refine Your Search
Item Title Type Subject Creator Publisher Date Place Address Description
7736The Causeway Club salt water swimming pool
  • Image, Photograph
  • Structures, Other Structures
  • Ballard - Willis Humphreys Ballard (1906-1980)
  • Southwest Harbor
7735The Causeway Club salt water swimming pool
  • Image, Photograph
  • Structures, Other Structures
  • Ballard - Willis Humphreys Ballard (1906-1980)
  • Southwest Harbor
13501Franklin Ward Machine Shop
Dockside Motel
XYZ Restaurant
  • Reference
  • Businesses, Restaurant Business
  • Structures, Commercial, Lodging, Motel
  • Structures, Other Structures
  • Southwest Harbor, Manset
  • 48 Shore Road
Franklin Ward Machine Shop
Dockside Motel
XYZ Restaurant
13260Masonic Hall
  • Reference
  • Structures, Other Structures
  • Southwest Harbor
  • 353 Main Street
The “Masonic Hall was built in 1875 by a stock company formed for the purpose. John D. Lurvey was the builder. The land was purchased from the Freeman family and John T.R. Freeman held the majority of the shares. In 1881 the building was sold to the Masonic lodge and the name of Tremont Hall changed to Masonic Hall. The lodge had the building raised and stores made in the basement with other additions and improvements.” - Traditions and Records of Southwest Harbor and Somesville, Mount Desert Island, Maine by Mrs. Seth S. Thornton p. 151 - 1938. The front entrance was on Main Street. A lobby and auditorium with stage were on that floor. Town meetings and other gatherings were held in the auditorium for many years. The top floor held the lodge hall. The Old Masonic Hall, then known as Tremont Hall, appears in the History of the Southwest Harbor Public Library in 1895. After the dedication of the new (first) Library building the attendees repaired to Tremont Hall for supper. September 1, 1916 - Grace Clark Carroll Clark noted in the Baby Book for her new daughter, Rebecca Carroll Clark, that Rebecca's aunt, Anna Beatrice (Carroll) Kelley, stayed with Rebecca while Grace "went out to hear Fritz Kreisler at the Masonic Hall." Thornton goes on to say that Masonic Hall “was saved during the fire of 1922 by almost superhuman efforts of the young men who fought the flames from the roof until the danger was past.” The Old Masonic Hall burned on January 27, 1939 and a new building was erected in 1940. R.M. Norwood was the builder. “The [Freeman J.] Lurvey building was built as a general store and was conducted by Liston F. Smith for some years. Mr. Smith came to this vicinity some years previous and went over Mount Desert Island with a pedlar’s cart, calling himself “The Live Yankee.” When he settled down to storekeeping this was on his sign and by this cognomen he was known to most of the people. [Later Arther Allen purchased the store. Mr. Smith] moved his goods to one of the stores in the basement of the Masonic Hall where he was in business until failing health forced him to retire.” - “Traditions and Records of Southwest Harbor and Somesville, Mount Desert Island, Maine” by Mrs. Seth S. Thornton, p. 148-149 – 1938 The Hall, built c. 1877 as Tremont Hall, was sold to the Masonic lodge around 1902. The lodge members renamed the building, raised it, and rebuilt the first and second floors to achieve the building shown here. – See the Bar Harbor Times, April 20, 1927, p. 7.
Description:
The “Masonic Hall was built in 1875 by a stock company formed for the purpose. John D. Lurvey was the builder. The land was purchased from the Freeman family and John T.R. Freeman held the majority of the shares. In 1881 the building was sold to the Masonic lodge and the name of Tremont Hall changed to Masonic Hall. The lodge had the building raised and stores made in the basement with other additions and improvements.” - Traditions and Records of Southwest Harbor and Somesville, Mount Desert Island, Maine by Mrs. Seth S. Thornton p. 151 - 1938. The front entrance was on Main Street. A lobby and auditorium with stage were on that floor. Town meetings and other gatherings were held in the auditorium for many years. The top floor held the lodge hall. The Old Masonic Hall, then known as Tremont Hall, appears in the History of the Southwest Harbor Public Library in 1895. After the dedication of the new (first) Library building the attendees repaired to Tremont Hall for supper. September 1, 1916 - Grace Clark Carroll Clark noted in the Baby Book for her new daughter, Rebecca Carroll Clark, that Rebecca's aunt, Anna Beatrice (Carroll) Kelley, stayed with Rebecca while Grace "went out to hear Fritz Kreisler at the Masonic Hall." Thornton goes on to say that Masonic Hall “was saved during the fire of 1922 by almost superhuman efforts of the young men who fought the flames from the roof until the danger was past.” The Old Masonic Hall burned on January 27, 1939 and a new building was erected in 1940. R.M. Norwood was the builder. “The [Freeman J.] Lurvey building was built as a general store and was conducted by Liston F. Smith for some years. Mr. Smith came to this vicinity some years previous and went over Mount Desert Island with a pedlar’s cart, calling himself “The Live Yankee.” When he settled down to storekeeping this was on his sign and by this cognomen he was known to most of the people. [Later Arther Allen purchased the store. Mr. Smith] moved his goods to one of the stores in the basement of the Masonic Hall where he was in business until failing health forced him to retire.” - “Traditions and Records of Southwest Harbor and Somesville, Mount Desert Island, Maine” by Mrs. Seth S. Thornton, p. 148-149 – 1938 The Hall, built c. 1877 as Tremont Hall, was sold to the Masonic lodge around 1902. The lodge members renamed the building, raised it, and rebuilt the first and second floors to achieve the building shown here. – See the Bar Harbor Times, April 20, 1927, p. 7. [show more]
8358Indigenous Wigwams at Bras d'Or Lake
  • Image, Photograph, Photographic Print, Albumen Print
  • Places, Lake
  • Structures, Other Structures
  • Rand - Henry Lathrop Rand (1862-1945)
  • 1894-07
  • Canada, Cape Breton Island, Baddeck
8357Indigenous Wigwams at Bras d'Or Lake
  • Image, Photograph, Photographic Print, Albumen Print
  • Places, Lake
  • Structures, Other Structures
  • Rand - Henry Lathrop Rand (1862-1945)
  • 1894-07
  • Canada, Cape Breton Island, Baddeck
12078Franklin Ward's Children at the Franklin Ward Machine Shop, Manset
  • Image, Photograph
  • People
  • Structures, Other Structures
  • Transportation, Automobile
  • 1940
  • Southwest Harbor, Manset
  • 48 Shore Road
4006Unknown Structures
  • Set
  • Structures, Other Structures
These images depict structures that archivists have not yet identified. Please let us know if you know anything about these structures or the photos.
Description:
These images depict structures that archivists have not yet identified. Please let us know if you know anything about these structures or the photos.
12463Franklin Henry Ward
  • Image, Photograph
  • People
  • Structures, Other Structures
  • 1932 c.
  • Southwest Harbor, Manset
  • 48 Shore Road
5653Southwest Harbor Water Company - First Freeman Ridge Pump & Windmill
  • Image, Photograph
  • Structures, Other Structures
  • Bradley - Bryant Bradley (1838-1890)
  • 1895
  • Southwest Harbor
16183First Odd Fellows Building, Southwest Harbor
  • Image, Photograph, Photographic Print
  • Structures, Other Structures
  • Southwest Harbor
  • 357 Main Street
5057China Mill in Suncook Village, Pembroke NH
  • Image, Photograph, Photographic Print, Albumen Print
  • Structures, Other Structures
  • Rand - Henry Lathrop Rand (1862-1945)
  • 1909-10-20
  • Pembroke NH
16085Greetings from Bernard, Maine
  • Image, Photograph, Picture Postcard
  • People
  • Structures, Other Structures
  • Tremont, Bernard
14338Old Ward House
Benjamin Ward House
Customs House
  • Reference
  • Structures, Dwellings, House
  • Structures, Other Structures
  • Southwest Harbor, Manset
  • 136 Seawall Road
The original house was built in 1830 for Benjamin Ward and is one of the oldest still existing buildings in Southwest Harbor. The house once held the U.S. Customs House [T-184] and was sold by Eldora Dolliver Ward to sea captain William W. King in 1905 (426/105). It was sold by Lottie King Reed to Emery Norwood in 1946 (712/121). Emery died July 22, 1953, leaving as heir-at-law Edna G. Hurd Norwood, who lived in the house until she sold it to John Eugene Jacobson in 1975 (1209/647). The shed ell was reported to have belonged to Albert “Uncle Al” King, who used it as a boat shed on the shore of 373 Seawall Road. The small barn in the rear is Jake Jacobson’s shop. (map 1, lot 44) - Burnham, John, Rebecca. - Our Neighborhood – Manset and Seawall (Southwest Harbor Historical Society, Southwest Harbor, 2015) 78-79.
Old Ward House
Benjamin Ward House
Customs House
Description:
The original house was built in 1830 for Benjamin Ward and is one of the oldest still existing buildings in Southwest Harbor. The house once held the U.S. Customs House [T-184] and was sold by Eldora Dolliver Ward to sea captain William W. King in 1905 (426/105). It was sold by Lottie King Reed to Emery Norwood in 1946 (712/121). Emery died July 22, 1953, leaving as heir-at-law Edna G. Hurd Norwood, who lived in the house until she sold it to John Eugene Jacobson in 1975 (1209/647). The shed ell was reported to have belonged to Albert “Uncle Al” King, who used it as a boat shed on the shore of 373 Seawall Road. The small barn in the rear is Jake Jacobson’s shop. (map 1, lot 44) - Burnham, John, Rebecca. - Our Neighborhood – Manset and Seawall (Southwest Harbor Historical Society, Southwest Harbor, 2015) 78-79. [show more]
11267Stanley Fisheries Ice House
  • Image, Photograph
  • Structures, Other Structures
  • Southwest Harbor, Manset
12062Theodore P. Austin's Cottage - The Austin Castle
  • Image, Photograph
  • Structures, Other Structures
  • Hancock ME
13120Longfellow Park
  • Reference
  • Places, Park
  • Structures, Other Structures
  • Boston MA area, Cambridge
13381Odd Fellows Hall
  • Reference
  • Structures, Other Structures
  • Southwest Harbor
  • 357 Main Street
3554Austin's Castle
  • Reference
  • Structures, Other Structures
  • Franklin ME
Built by Theodore P. Austin, a New York jeweler, who invested in Hancock Country mining. He died before the construction was complete. The 42 room castle was never completed, although Austin's two daughters lived in the one finished room for many years.
Description:
Built by Theodore P. Austin, a New York jeweler, who invested in Hancock Country mining. He died before the construction was complete. The 42 room castle was never completed, although Austin's two daughters lived in the one finished room for many years.
9135Marion Quincy Winslow Rand at Balsam Hut
  • Image, Photograph, Photographic Print, Albumen Print
  • People
  • Structures, Other Structures
  • Rand - Henry Lathrop Rand (1862-1945)
  • 1908-09-20
There is a splint-ash chair in the hut and bunches of balsam branches apparently on a bench. The outside of the hut had a sapling trellis attached to the surface of the building. Balsam branches were attached to it.
Description:
There is a splint-ash chair in the hut and bunches of balsam branches apparently on a bench. The outside of the hut had a sapling trellis attached to the surface of the building. Balsam branches were attached to it.
9152Marion Quincy Winslow Rand and Arnold Augustus Rand at "Fox Dens" Avenue Shelter
  • Image, Photograph, Photographic Print, Albumen Print
  • People
  • Structures, Other Structures
  • Rand - Henry Lathrop Rand (1862-1945)
  • 1910-08-29
  • Southwest Harbor
9942Unknown Building with 1911 Ford Model T
  • Image, Photograph, Photographic Print
  • Structures, Other Structures
  • Transportation, Automobile
The automobile is probably a 1911 Ford Model T with acetelyne head lamps.
Description:
The automobile is probably a 1911 Ford Model T with acetelyne head lamps.
5586Old Masonic Hall and J.T. Crippen Company
  • Image, Photograph
  • Structures, Other Structures
  • 1881 c.
  • Southwest Harbor
  • 353 Main Street
The Tremont Masonic Lodge #77, after it was raised and enlarged, at the corner of Main Street and Clark Point Road in Southwest Harbor. The building to the right of it was the Odd Fellows Hall, destroyed by fire on March 27, 1922. The front entrance (as shown) was on Main Street. A lobby and auditorium with stage were on that floor. Town meetings and other gatherings were held in the auditorium for many years. The top floor held the lodge hall. At the far left is A. Gilley's Barber Shop, and, to the right of it is R.J. Lemont's Drug Store. The shield sign to the right of that marks the store of the "Live Yankee." The business on the bottom floor (access from Clark Point Road) of the Old Masonic Hall is the J.T. Crippen Co. - musical instruments and supplies.
Description:
The Tremont Masonic Lodge #77, after it was raised and enlarged, at the corner of Main Street and Clark Point Road in Southwest Harbor. The building to the right of it was the Odd Fellows Hall, destroyed by fire on March 27, 1922. The front entrance (as shown) was on Main Street. A lobby and auditorium with stage were on that floor. Town meetings and other gatherings were held in the auditorium for many years. The top floor held the lodge hall. At the far left is A. Gilley's Barber Shop, and, to the right of it is R.J. Lemont's Drug Store. The shield sign to the right of that marks the store of the "Live Yankee." The business on the bottom floor (access from Clark Point Road) of the Old Masonic Hall is the J.T. Crippen Co. - musical instruments and supplies. [show more]
5587Old Masonic Hall and Odd Fellows Building
  • Image, Photograph
  • Structures, Other Structures
  • 1881 c.
  • Southwest Harbor
The Tremont Masonic Lodge #77 at the corner of Main Street and Clark Point Road in Southwest Harbor and the Odd Fellows building on the right.
Description:
The Tremont Masonic Lodge #77 at the corner of Main Street and Clark Point Road in Southwest Harbor and the Odd Fellows building on the right.
12311The Mill Race at Schooner Head
Waterfall at Schooner Head
  • Image, Photograph
  • Structures, Other Structures
  • Allen - Edward Lowe Allen (c. 1830-1914)
  • 1865 c.
  • Bar Harbor, Eden
Stereograph sometimes listed as "Waterfall at Schooner Head" and other times as "Mill Race at Schooner Head", Probably at the William Lynam Homestead, Eden, Maine.
The Mill Race at Schooner Head
Waterfall at Schooner Head
Description:
Stereograph sometimes listed as "Waterfall at Schooner Head" and other times as "Mill Race at Schooner Head", Probably at the William Lynam Homestead, Eden, Maine.