1 - 25 of 85 results
You searched for: Subject: is exactly 'Structures, Commercial, Store'
Refine Your Search
Refine Your Search
Item Title Type Subject Creator Publisher Date Place Address Description
12224A. Bird Cough, Fine Groceries and Provisions
  • Image, Photograph
  • Structures, Commercial, Store
  • 1902-08-12
  • Bar Harbor
  • 26 Cottage Street
12852Lawler Paint Co. Building
Sunrise Heating & Coastline Construction
  • Reference
  • Structures, Commercial, Store
  • Southwest Harbor
  • 40 Clark Point Road
Lawler Paint Co. Building
Sunrise Heating & Coastline Construction
5556J.C. Ralph Studio on Main Street Looking South, Southwest Harbor
  • Image, Photograph
  • Places, Town
  • Structures, Commercial, Store
  • 1898 c.
  • Southwest Harbor
The First Masonic Hall, now 353 Main Street, Southwest Harbor - at the corner of Clark Point Road, - The Hall, built c. 1877 as Tremont Hall, was sold to the Masonic lodge around 1902. The lodge members renamed the building, raised it, and rebuilt the first and second floors to achieve the building shown in all the pictures as the First Masonic Hall – See the Bar Harbor Times, April 20, 1927, p. 7. The building shown here is the Tremont Hall as it originally looked. One of the old street lights is visible on the right. - “In 1897, the different societies in the village combined to raise funds for street lights. The lamps were bought and placed near those houses whose owners were willing to furnish the kerosene and keep the lamps trimmed and lighted. These lamps did duty until the installation of electricity in the summer of 1917.” - “Traditions and Records of Southwest Harbor and Somesville, Mount Desert Island, Maine” by Mrs. Seth S. Thornton, 1938, p. 124. The building on the right is John C. Ralph's Studio - Optician and Jewelry. John C. Ralph was Postmaster at Southwest Harbor from July 19, 1897 to November 1, 1905 and the Post Office is in the same building at far right. - Note wooden sidewalks.
Description:
The First Masonic Hall, now 353 Main Street, Southwest Harbor - at the corner of Clark Point Road, - The Hall, built c. 1877 as Tremont Hall, was sold to the Masonic lodge around 1902. The lodge members renamed the building, raised it, and rebuilt the first and second floors to achieve the building shown in all the pictures as the First Masonic Hall – See the Bar Harbor Times, April 20, 1927, p. 7. The building shown here is the Tremont Hall as it originally looked. One of the old street lights is visible on the right. - “In 1897, the different societies in the village combined to raise funds for street lights. The lamps were bought and placed near those houses whose owners were willing to furnish the kerosene and keep the lamps trimmed and lighted. These lamps did duty until the installation of electricity in the summer of 1917.” - “Traditions and Records of Southwest Harbor and Somesville, Mount Desert Island, Maine” by Mrs. Seth S. Thornton, 1938, p. 124. The building on the right is John C. Ralph's Studio - Optician and Jewelry. John C. Ralph was Postmaster at Southwest Harbor from July 19, 1897 to November 1, 1905 and the Post Office is in the same building at far right. - Note wooden sidewalks. [show more]
16077Main St. Bernard, ME
  • Image, Photograph, Picture Postcard
  • Structures, Commercial, Store
  • Tremont, Bernard
The three most visible buildings - Left to Right: The Benjamin Benson II House - Tremont House Hotel - 125 Bernard Road, Map 17 - Lot 54 The Guy Hamilton Parker House - 119 Bernard Road, Map 17 - Lot 55 The Willis Watson Store / Town Office / Columbia Hall - Map 17 - Lot 56 - building demolished in 1936 - lot now Town of Tremont
Description:
The three most visible buildings - Left to Right: The Benjamin Benson II House - Tremont House Hotel - 125 Bernard Road, Map 17 - Lot 54 The Guy Hamilton Parker House - 119 Bernard Road, Map 17 - Lot 55 The Willis Watson Store / Town Office / Columbia Hall - Map 17 - Lot 56 - building demolished in 1936 - lot now Town of Tremont
9199Dr. Willis Watson's Store, Bernard, Maine
  • Image, Photograph, Picture Postcard
  • Structures, Commercial, Store
  • Eastern Ilustrating Co., Belfast, Me.
  • Tremont, Bernard
The three most visible buildings - Left to Right: The Benjamin Benson II House - Tremont House Hotel - 125 Bernard Road, Map 17 - Lot 54 The Guy Hamilton Parker House - 119 Bernard Road, Map 17 - Lot 55 The Willis Watson Store / Town Office / Columbia Hall - Map 17 - Lot 56 - building demolished in 1936 - lot now Town of Tremont
Description:
The three most visible buildings - Left to Right: The Benjamin Benson II House - Tremont House Hotel - 125 Bernard Road, Map 17 - Lot 54 The Guy Hamilton Parker House - 119 Bernard Road, Map 17 - Lot 55 The Willis Watson Store / Town Office / Columbia Hall - Map 17 - Lot 56 - building demolished in 1936 - lot now Town of Tremont
11043W.H. Ward Jr. Store - Newly Built
  • Image, Photograph
  • Structures, Commercial, Store
  • Southwest Harbor, Manset
11118Centennial Hall - As W.H. Ward Jr. Store
  • Image, Photograph
  • Nature, Animals
  • Structures, Commercial, Store
  • Southwest Harbor, Manset
12482Centennial Hall - As W.H. Ward Jr. Store - Ruins After the Fire
  • Image, Photograph
  • Places, Shore
  • Structures, Commercial, Store
  • 1918 c.
  • Southwest Harbor, Manset
13195Farnsworth's Millinery Shop and Post Office
  • Reference
  • Structures, Commercial, Store
  • Southwest Harbor
  • 406 Main Street
13140A.I. Holmes Stores
The A&P - The Great Atlantic and Pacific Tea Company
  • Reference
  • Structures, Commercial, Store
  • Southwest Harbor
A.I. Holmes Stores
The A&P - The Great Atlantic and Pacific Tea Company
5554Wilford Howard Kittredge in a Sleigh at J.C. Ralph's Studio & Store and Southwest Harbor Post Office
  • Image, Photograph
  • People
  • Structures, Commercial, Store
  • Bradley - Bryant Bradley (1838-1890)
  • 1898 c.
  • Southwest Harbor
The Adelbert Alden Gilley house at 12 Maple Lane, Map 6 – Lot 102, Southwest Harbor can be seen in the reflection of the window of the Ralph store.
Description:
The Adelbert Alden Gilley house at 12 Maple Lane, Map 6 – Lot 102, Southwest Harbor can be seen in the reflection of the window of the Ralph store.
5126Two Men at J.C. Ralph's Studio & Post Office
  • Image, Photograph
  • Places, Town
  • Structures, Commercial, Store
  • 1898 c.
  • Southwest Harbor
There are several street lamps visible in the photograph - the one on the right is different from the others. The lamp post on the left is at the corner of Clark Point Road. The building with the overhang beyond it is the Odd Fellows building. The building on the right is J.C. Ralph's Studio - Optician and Jeweler - and the Post Office. A man is standing in the door of the Post Office and a man standing in front of Ralph's Studio. The photograph was taken soon after John Ralph moved his store and expanded it. “In 1897, the different societies in the village combined to raise funds for street lights. The lamps were bought and placed near those houses whose owners were willing to furnish the kerosene and keep the lamps trimmed and lighted. These lamps did duty until the installation of electricity in the summer of 1917.” - “Traditions and Records of Southwest Harbor and Somesville, Mount Desert Island, Maine” by Mrs. Seth S. Thornton, 1938, p. 124.
Description:
There are several street lamps visible in the photograph - the one on the right is different from the others. The lamp post on the left is at the corner of Clark Point Road. The building with the overhang beyond it is the Odd Fellows building. The building on the right is J.C. Ralph's Studio - Optician and Jeweler - and the Post Office. A man is standing in the door of the Post Office and a man standing in front of Ralph's Studio. The photograph was taken soon after John Ralph moved his store and expanded it. “In 1897, the different societies in the village combined to raise funds for street lights. The lamps were bought and placed near those houses whose owners were willing to furnish the kerosene and keep the lamps trimmed and lighted. These lamps did duty until the installation of electricity in the summer of 1917.” - “Traditions and Records of Southwest Harbor and Somesville, Mount Desert Island, Maine” by Mrs. Seth S. Thornton, 1938, p. 124. [show more]
11366Carl Edward Kelley Sr. and Anna Beatrice Carroll at William Lloyd Carroll's Cash Market
  • Image, Photograph, Photographic Print
  • People
  • Structures, Commercial, Store
  • Carroll - Nellie Rebecca (Carroll) Thornton (1871-1958)
  • 1915
  • Southwest Harbor
  • 47 Clark Point Road
Carl and "Beatie" were married. The Cash Market, on Clark Point Road, belonged to her brother, William Lloyd Carroll.
Description:
Carl and "Beatie" were married. The Cash Market, on Clark Point Road, belonged to her brother, William Lloyd Carroll.
5892Albert Wilson Bee's Store - A.W. Bee, Stationer, Bar Harbor
  • Image, Photograph
  • Places, Town
  • Structures, Commercial, Store
  • Bradley - Bryant Bradley (1838-1890)
  • 1870
  • Bar Harbor, Eden
  • 116 Main Street
The photograph was taken from the porch of the Rodick Hotel.
Description:
The photograph was taken from the porch of the Rodick Hotel.
13878The Cheese House
  • Reference
  • Businesses, Store Business
  • Structures, Commercial, Store
"The Cheese House was part of the Cheese House chain which had 18 cheese-shaped locations in New England. Apparently, there are only … two buildings left. The stores were built in the late 1960s and early 1970s. They were constructed of wood with a cut-out wedge for the entrance and windows. They are 9' tall and 40' in diameter. In the late 1970s, the chain disbanded due to financial problems." - “Giant Food: Misc. Food” by Debra Jane Seltzer, Roadside Architecture.com, Accessed online 11/12/13; http://www.agilitynut.com/food/other.html The postcards for all the Cheeses Houses appear to be the same photograph. The store in Trenton was owned by Alex A. Albin and Bernice E. Albin. It closed in 1984 and the building has been for sale almost all the time since. Collectors of architectural oddities are always looking for such buildings, originally built as cheese wheels, hot dogs, clam boxes or loaves of bread.
Description:
"The Cheese House was part of the Cheese House chain which had 18 cheese-shaped locations in New England. Apparently, there are only … two buildings left. The stores were built in the late 1960s and early 1970s. They were constructed of wood with a cut-out wedge for the entrance and windows. They are 9' tall and 40' in diameter. In the late 1970s, the chain disbanded due to financial problems." - “Giant Food: Misc. Food” by Debra Jane Seltzer, Roadside Architecture.com, Accessed online 11/12/13; http://www.agilitynut.com/food/other.html The postcards for all the Cheeses Houses appear to be the same photograph. The store in Trenton was owned by Alex A. Albin and Bernice E. Albin. It closed in 1984 and the building has been for sale almost all the time since. Collectors of architectural oddities are always looking for such buildings, originally built as cheese wheels, hot dogs, clam boxes or loaves of bread. [show more]
15615A Cheese-shaped Building
  • Publication, Literary, Article
  • Structures, Commercial, Store
  • Sambides - Nick Sambides Jr.
  • Bangor Daily News
  • 2019-01-09
  • Trenton ME
  • 874 Bar Harbor Road (Route 3)
A Bangor Daily News article about an urban legend hiding in plain sight.
Description:
A Bangor Daily News article about an urban legend hiding in plain sight.
12361The Cheese House
  • Image, Photograph, Picture Postcard, Real Photo
  • Structures, Commercial, Store
  • Forward's Color Productions, Inc., Manchester, Vermont 05254
  • 1970 c.
This photo is indicative of the Cheese House that was located in Trenton, Maine, but is probably not the same building. As of 2019, the building in Trenton is occupied by a Harley Davidson store.
Description:
This photo is indicative of the Cheese House that was located in Trenton, Maine, but is probably not the same building. As of 2019, the building in Trenton is occupied by a Harley Davidson store.
10910S.W. Newman Groceries and Manset Post Office
  • Image, Photograph
  • Businesses, Store Business
  • Structures, Civic, Public, Post Office
  • Structures, Commercial, Store
  • 1905 c.
  • Southwest Harbor, Manset
10721S. W. Newman Groceries and Post Office, Manset, Maine
  • Image, Photograph
  • People
  • Structures, Civic, Public, Post Office
  • Structures, Commercial, Store
  • 1900 c.
  • Southwest Harbor, Manset
15146W.H. Thurston Store
  • Reference
  • Businesses, Store Business
  • Structures, Commercial, Store
15105The Live Yankee
  • Reference
  • Structures, Commercial, Store
“The Lurvey building [the Freeman J. Lurvey building on Main Street] was built as a general store and was conducted by Liston F. Smith for some years. Mr. Smith came to this vicinity some years previous and went over Mount Desert Island with a pedlar's [Sic] cart, calling himself "The Live Yankee." When he settled down to storekeeping- this was on his sign and by this cognomen he was known to most of the people. Later he moved his goods to one of the stores in the basement of the Masonic Hall where he was in business until failing health forced him to retire.” - “Traditions and Records of Southwest Harbor and Somesville, Mount Desert Island, Maine” by Mrs. Seth S. Thornton, 1938, p. 148-149.
Description:
“The Lurvey building [the Freeman J. Lurvey building on Main Street] was built as a general store and was conducted by Liston F. Smith for some years. Mr. Smith came to this vicinity some years previous and went over Mount Desert Island with a pedlar's [Sic] cart, calling himself "The Live Yankee." When he settled down to storekeeping- this was on his sign and by this cognomen he was known to most of the people. Later he moved his goods to one of the stores in the basement of the Masonic Hall where he was in business until failing health forced him to retire.” - “Traditions and Records of Southwest Harbor and Somesville, Mount Desert Island, Maine” by Mrs. Seth S. Thornton, 1938, p. 148-149. [show more]
15106The Captain's Walk
  • Reference
  • Structures, Commercial, Store
15036Lyle Arlington Reed Store
  • Reference
  • Businesses, Store Business
  • Structures, Commercial, Store
  • Tremont, Bass Harbor
  • 35 Shore Road
Lyle Arlington Reed's store was opened in about 1945 in Bass Harbor. It was a general grocery and meat store and, later, a small lunch area for the nearby factory workers was added. Lyle sold the building to Dr. Channing H. Washburn of Bass Harbor who turned the building into a residence. - Information from Elsie V. (Reed) Lunt, Mrs. Clarence L. Lunt - Interview 09/22/10. "McKinley – The building on the Shore Road owned by Lyle Reed has been completed and the store will be opened in connection with his taxi business." The Ellsworth American, Wednesday, May 28, 1947.
Description:
Lyle Arlington Reed's store was opened in about 1945 in Bass Harbor. It was a general grocery and meat store and, later, a small lunch area for the nearby factory workers was added. Lyle sold the building to Dr. Channing H. Washburn of Bass Harbor who turned the building into a residence. - Information from Elsie V. (Reed) Lunt, Mrs. Clarence L. Lunt - Interview 09/22/10. "McKinley – The building on the Shore Road owned by Lyle Reed has been completed and the store will be opened in connection with his taxi business." The Ellsworth American, Wednesday, May 28, 1947. [show more]
15014Bernard Post Office
Hinton's Antique Shop
  • Reference
  • Businesses, Business Shop
  • Structures, Civic, Public, Post Office
  • Structures, Commercial, Store
  • Tremont, Bernard
  • 129 Bernard Road
Postmasters at Bernard were: George W. Billings (1859-?): Postmaster - 11/26/1906 Hiram H. Condon (1871-1957): Postmaster - 10/17/1914 Mrs. Harriet C. Hinton (1904-1984): Acting Postmaster - 10/31/1941 Mrs. Harriet C. Hinton (1904-1984): Postmaster - 03/25/1942 Mrs. Hilda Erclin Sylvia (1912-2006): Officer-In-Charge - 06/20/1974 Mrs. Hilda Erclin Sylvia (1912-2006): Postmaster - 10/26/1974 Alice Ann Tracy - Officer-In-Charge: 05/01/1987 Linda (Sawyer) Musson (1949-): Postmaster -10/10/1987 Harriet Hinton was the postmaster - then her son Paul Hinton, had the antique store in this building.
Bernard Post Office
Hinton's Antique Shop
Description:
Postmasters at Bernard were: George W. Billings (1859-?): Postmaster - 11/26/1906 Hiram H. Condon (1871-1957): Postmaster - 10/17/1914 Mrs. Harriet C. Hinton (1904-1984): Acting Postmaster - 10/31/1941 Mrs. Harriet C. Hinton (1904-1984): Postmaster - 03/25/1942 Mrs. Hilda Erclin Sylvia (1912-2006): Officer-In-Charge - 06/20/1974 Mrs. Hilda Erclin Sylvia (1912-2006): Postmaster - 10/26/1974 Alice Ann Tracy - Officer-In-Charge: 05/01/1987 Linda (Sawyer) Musson (1949-): Postmaster -10/10/1987 Harriet Hinton was the postmaster - then her son Paul Hinton, had the antique store in this building. [show more]
14855Charles Eaton Spurling Store
  • Reference
  • Structures, Commercial, Store
  • Cranberry Isles, Great Cranberry Island
  • 45 Cranberry Road