Searching is the key that unlocks the hidden treasures of the Archive. There are three search methods:
- Simple Search
- Subject Search
- Advanced Search
Simple Search is quick and easy to use. In fact you can try it right now by typing keywords in the text box in the upper right corner of this page and pressing the Enter key. Simple Search results appear as rows in a table. You can sort the rows by column like you can do in a spreadsheet.
Subject Search is also easy to use, but provides a few options for narrowing search results so that you’ll have less information to sift through. It’s more powerful than Simple Search and less intimidating than Advanced Search. You can think of Subject Search as a slimmed-down version of Advanced Search.
Advanced Search provides many options for narrowing results down to exactly what you are looking for. Advanced Search also gives you full control over how your search results are presented.
Simple Search works well, but if you get too many results, or if the results are not precise enough, try using Advanced Search. You’ll need to use Advanced Search when:
- The order of keywords is important (Simple and Subject Search find keywords in any order).
- Results should contain any of your keywords (Simple and Subject Search look for all the keywords).
- Items should not contain certain keywords (Simple and Subject Search cannot exclude keywords).
- Results should contain an exact phrase (Simple and Subject Search treat each word as a keyword).
- You want to search in specific fields, not all fields (Simple and Subject Search look in all fields).
- You want to search by tags or date range (Simple and Subject Search don’t have these options).
- Results must be filtered by multiple conditions (only Advanced Search provides this option).
There are different ways to view search results. Click the links below to get familiar with each one.
- Table View
- Image View (Subject Search and Advanced Search)
- Index View (Subject Search and Advanced Search)
- Tree View (Advanced Search)
- Relationships View (Advanced Search)
Share with a Friend
You can share your search results with other people by emailing them a link they can click to see the results. Here’s how:
- Perform a search – simple, subject, or advanced.
- On the Search Results page, copy the results URL from your browser’s address field.
- Email the address to a friend.
The results URL for a Simple Search look something like this:
Note that the URL for an Advanced Search can be quite long and scary looking, but that’s okay. Just copy it from your browser and paste it into an email.